Thursday, August 4, 2011

AIDET

Were you ever curious to know how hospital staff are trained to (hopefully) give you that warm, fuzzy, organized feeling?

I attended a supplemental volunteer training today where we went over AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank You), which basically outlines the positive energy that seems to radiate from well-adapted hospital staff, convincing you to hand over your money and bodies through an instilled sense of trust.  It all starts at the greeting.   A breakdown:

A) Acknowledge:  Good afternoon, Miss Jane.  We've been expecting you, and are glad you're here.
That's such a classic gangsta line.  "We've been expecting you..."  


B) Introduce:  My name is Pumpkin, and I will be conducting your test today.  I'm  a certified ultra sonographer, and I do about 9 of these procedures a day.  What questions can I answer for you?
Don't let anyone be unsure about your role, and why you are there.  As a volunteer, I'm always having patients ask me profound health-related questions that I'm totally not qualified to answer.  Sometimes I get away with answering it by re-iterating the PT, and saying, "What you're physical therapist said was..." or just "Lets ask when s/he gets back". 

C) Duration:  This test will take about 15 minutes. Then you will need to wait about 10 minutes for us to process your results.
No one likes to be kept waiting! Damned if I do. 



D) Explanation:  You will need to drink this solution, than wait ten minutes.  The test will be then be administered, and the results will be sent to the clinic. 
We like to know whats happening.  This is where it stops being gangsta and is just, you know, polite.


E) Thank You:  Thank you for your call.  It was a pleasure to serve you.
I think this is especially important as a volunteer shadow: thank people for letting me watch their personal appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment